- Tue Dec 5, ‘Writing gendered violence in The Permanent Resident’, at the Gendered Violence in the Global South workshop, UNSW, Sydney.
- Friday, Dec 1, 3-4:30 pm, ‘Race, Class, and Gender in the Creative Writing Workshop’, at the ‘Diversity in Workshops & Residencies’ panel, annual conference of the Australasian Association of Writing Programs, Room 1.1, Flinders University, Victoria Square campus, Adelaide. See full program here.
- Wednesday, Nov 29, 6:30 pm, Reading at The Hearth Collective’s What Lost What Lingers, The Wheatsheaf Hotel, 39 George Street, Thebarton, Adelaide. See program here.
Australian Short Story Festival, Adelaide, South Australia
- Saturday, November 4, 11:50 to 12:40 pm, Closure in short fiction: how do you walk that all-too-thin tightrope between tying things up and not tying the bow too tight? Join Roanna Gonsalves and Susan Midalia as they unwrap this most complex question. Moderator: Rachael Mead. Hawke Building H6.03, University of South Australia. See full program here.
- Sunday, November 5, 10:30 to 11:20 am, Join Roanna as she talks about The Permanent Resident. Moderator: Dr Steve Cramer. Hawke Building H6.03, University of South Australia. See full program here.
Boundless: A Festival of Diverse Writers
- Saturday, October 28, 1 to 2 pm, What needs to be said: What fires you up? How do you write about difficult, uncomfortable issues? Sarah Ayoub, Helen Chebatte, and Roanna Gonsalves discuss these questions in relationship to their work and what people expect them to write about and deal with. Convened by Irini Savvides. Age range: 12-16. Presented by WestWords.
India Illuminated, UNSW
- Thursday, October 26, 5.00pm – 7.30pm, India-Australia Relations: Where does the future lie? With Neville Roach, Monika Barthwal-Datta, Vinayak Dixit, Varun Grover, Lori Youmshajekian, and Roanna Gonsalves.
Asia Pacific Writers & Translators conference
See Full Program Here
- Sunday, October 22, 2:45 to 3:15 pm, Keynote Address, ‘On Writing Through Cultures, Canons and Rushdiefication’, Theatre Room, Faculty of Languages and Arts, Ganesha University of Education, Bali, Indonesia.
- Sunday, October 22, 3:30 to 4:45 pm, On Craft: The Short Story, Voice and Point of View. Moderator: Julia Prendergast. Panellists: Roanna Gonsalves, Shinie Antony, Tim Tomlinson and Darryl Whetter. Seminar Room 2, Faculty of Languages and Arts, Ganesha University of Education, Bali, Indonesia.
- Sunday, October 22, 11 am to 12:30 pm, On Identity: Australia and the World. Moderator: Brentley Frazer. Panellists: Roanna Gonsalves, Marie Munkara, Osamah Sami and Eugenia Flynn. Seminar Room 2, Faculty of Languages and Arts, Ganesha University of Education, Bali, Indonesia.
Sydney International Women’s Poetry & Arts Festival
- Friday, October 20, Gender and Racism, Roanna Gonsalves in conversation with Hon. Linda Burney MP, Professor Catherine Lumby. New South Wales Parliament House. Book Here.
At St Albans Writers Festival
- Saturday, September 9, 9 to 10 pm, Festival Campfire short story readings with Roanna Gonsalves and others
- Saturday, September 9, 5 to 6 pm, Snapshots of Life, with Roanna Gonsalves, Isabelle Li, and Fiona McFarlane
Library talks in Sydney
- Monday, August 21, 10:30-12 noon, The Permanent Resident – Roanna Gonsalves Author talk, Liverpool City Library, NSW. Free event but bookings essential. Book here
At the Australia India Institute, University of Melbourne
- Friday, August 18, 2 pm to 3 pm, Selfie of a Country (South Asia Research Seminar)
Upstairs Seminar Room, Australia India Institute, 147-149 Barry Street, Carlton VIC (Melbourne). This talk was livestreamed on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Faustraliaindiainstitute%2Fvideos%2F1664765823593698%2F&show_text=0&width=560” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”>https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Faustraliaindiainstitute%2Fvideos%2F1664765823593698%2F&show_text=0&width=560
At Mudgee Readers’ Festival
- Sunday, August 13, 11 am to 12 pm, Global Stories, with Roanna Gonsalves, Felicity Castagna, Ali Alizadeh, in conversation with Alice Grundy, Town Hall Theatre, Mudgee Readers’ Festival. Book here.
- Saturday, August 12, 7 to 10 pm, Rant!, with Luke Carman, Matthew Thompson, Summer Land, Ailsa Piper, Roanna Gonsalves, Mudgee Brewing Company, Mudgee Readers’ Festival. Book here.
- Saturday, August 12, 1:30 to 2:30 pm, On Being A Modern Outsider, Roanna Gonsalves in conversation with Sharell Fellows, Town Hall Theatre, Mudgee Readers’ Festival. Book here.
At Byron Writers Festival
- Sunday, August 6, When Race and Class Collide, Anita Heiss and Alice Pung in conversation with Roanna Gonsalves, 2:45-3:45 pm, Banksia Room, Byron Writers Festival.
- Sunday, August 6, Short Stories, Jennifer Down, Roanna Gonsalves, Kim Mahood, chaired by Zachary Jane, 1:15-2:15 pm, Belongil Room, Byron Writers Festival.
- Saturday, August 5, 2017, Midnight’s Children: Contemporary Indian Literature, Kunal Basu, Roanna Gonsalves, Vayu Naidu, Venkat Shyam, chaired by Wendy Were, 1:15-2:15 pm, Greenstone Partners Marquee. Byron Writers Festival
- Friday, August 4, Gond Art: Finding My Way Venkat Shyam in conversation with Roanna Gonsalves, 2:15-3 pm Belongil Room, Byron Writers Festival.
- Friday, August 4, Making Art About Country, 11:15 am – 12:15 pm, Banksia Room, Kim Mahood, Venkat Shyam, Joshua Yeldham, Roanna Gonsalves, Byron Writers Festival.
- Thursday, August 3, 10 am – 4 pm all-day workshop: Rewilding the Short Story, Byron Community College room, Byron Writers Festival. Book Here
At Maleny Celebration of Books
- Sunday, July 16, 2017, 10 am to 12 pm, Sunday Morning Talking Writing with Kate Evans, Michael Robotham, and Melissa Ashley, Maleny Community Centre Hall, Maleny Celebration of Books. Book Here.
At Sydney Writers’ Festival
- Saturday, May 27, 2017, 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM, all-day workshop Rewilding your short story, at Science House, NYU Sydney, Sydney Writers’ Festival. Sold OUT.
- Friday, May 26, 2017, 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM, moderator of Writing Race, with Man Booker Prize winner Paul Beatty, Anuk Arudpragasam, Maxine Beneba Clarke, Ellen van Neerven, Roslyn Packer Theatre, Sydney Writers’ Festival.
- Friday, May 26, 2017, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM: Human Baggage: The Hate Politics of Immigration, in conversation with Mona Chalabi, Samah Sabawi and Stephen Orlov, at Sydney Dance 1, Sydney Writers’ Festival.
- Thursday, May 25, 2017, 2:30 PM – 3:10 PM: On Literature As Selfie, Author Talk, Curiosity Stage at the Sydney Writers’ Festival
- Saturday, May 20, 2017: The long and the short of short stories, SAFAL, Macquarie University.
- Sunday, May 7, 2017: In conversation with Zoya Patel about The Permanent Resident, Muse Canberra http://www.musecanberra.com.au/events/2017/5/7/the-permanent-resident-roanna-gonsalves
- Sunday, April 9, 2017: Two Worlds, in conversation with Alice Pung and Deng Adut, hosted by Ruby Hamad, Newcastle Writers’ Festival. http://www.newcastlewritersfestival.org.au/session/two-worlds/
- Wednesday, April 5, 2017: Talking Writing: India, in conversation with Manisha Jolie Amin and Bem Le Hunte, facilitated by Zoya Patel, NSW Writers’ Centre http://www.nswwc.org.au/whats-on/talking-writing/talking-writing-india/
- Thursday, March 16, 2017: Author Talk at Waverley Library, Waverley Library Theatrette, 48 Denison Street, 32-48 , Bondi Junction, NSW 2022 https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/author-talk-roanna-gonsalves-on-the-permanent-resident-tickets-31139381729
- Wednesday, March 15, Author talk at NSW Writers’ Centre ‘Write To The End’ writing group.
- Saturday, March 11, 2017: Invited to launch Vatsalyam, a film about South Asian parenting in Australia, screening as part of Cinema Thali, Parramasala http://www.parramasala.com
- Saturday, March 11, 2017: Panellist, Vatsalyam and South Asian parenting, Parramasala http://www.parramasala.com
- Saturday, March 11, 2017: Panellist, South Asian Diaspora: Perception and Reality, organised by Nautanki Theatre at Parramasala http://www.parramasala.com/events/south-asian-diaspora-perception-and-reality-panel-discussion
- February 27, 2017: Rockdale Library Author Talk, Sydney https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/author-talk-roanna-gonsalves-tickets-31111806250
- February 12, 2017: Panellist, From the Margins to the Mainland in conversation with Tony Birch, Sudeep Chakravarti, & Benjamin Law, moderated by Jamila Rizvi, Jaipur Literature Festival at Melbourne Writers’ Festival, Melbourne http://mwf.com.au/jlf-melbourne/
- February 12, 2017: Panellist, JLF Reading Salon, Jaipur Literature Festival at Melbourne Writers’ Festival, Melbourne http://mwf.com.au/jlf-melbourne/
- February 4, 2017: Author talk, Women’s Empowerment in Indian Villages (WEIV), Northern NSW http://www.ard-india.org
- December 17, 2016, In-conversation with Mridula Nath Chakraborty at Eltham Bookshop, supported by UWAP and SADIRN Monash Asia.
- December 8, 2016, Launch of The Permanent Resident, in conversation with Jerry Pinto, at the inauguration of the Goa Arts and Literature Festival, India. Launch speech published by Australian Women Writers’ Challenge here
- December 9-12, 2016, Panelist on Ways of Belonging: The Goan Diaspora, with Jorge Barreto Xavier (former Secretary of State for Culture, Portugal, artists and writer); Chair of the panel Finding a Voice: Persistence; Chair of the panel Cultural Extinction; Facilitator of the session Starfish Pickle, a preview of an illustrated novel by Bina Nayak; Facilitator of the session Encyclopedia of Vintage Songs by Michael Lobo, Goa Arts and Literature Festival http://www.goaartlitfest.com
- November 25, 2016, Panellist: South Asian Australian Stories, Wollongong Writers Festival
- November 9, 2016, Launch of The Permanent Resident, by Michelle De Kretser at the UNSW Bookshop, Sydney.
- Chair / In Conversation, Foreignness, UNSWriting, School of the Arts and Media, UNSW, 21 Sep, 2016